Staffordshire & Cheshire Removals
UK and International Removals & Storage since 1935
Living in France
Before you prepare for your removal to France, it is a good plan to know more about the country you'll be moving to.
Every year, thousands of Brits emigrate to France. Situated in western Europe, France is a major economic and cultural influence in Europe and, of course, the world. It is regarded as one of the most developed countries, with the fifth largest economy in the world. The population enjoys a very high standard of living, one of the world's highest life expectancies, and boasts an excellent health care system and high education levels.
Interesting Facts about France
- 85% of the French population live in urban areas
- French was the official language of England between the 11th and 15th centuries
- There are over 1,000 different types of cheese made in France
- The world’s first artificial heart transplant and face transplant both took place in France
- The French invented the metric system in 1793
- The 'French Declaration of the Rights of Man and of Citizen' from 1789 is the world's first universal declaration applying to human rights
- The Alsace region of France has belonged to both Germany and France over the years, and the local dialect is closely related to Swiss German
Information and tips for living in and moving to France
For most citizens of the European Union, a residence permit is not a legal requirement for work.
As you probably know, French is the official language of France. New residents are encouraged to at least learn some basic French or brush up on their knowledge before arriving, to ease the transition and help meet new people.
The French public health care system is one of the best in the world, so find out if you are entitled to health cover under the public system before paying for a private insurance.
Living costs in France will depend on your chosen city and region of the country. If you are moving to Paris or the Riviera, costs can be much higher than in much of the UK, while the north is relatively inexpensive.
How can we help with your removal to France?
Ring us on 01785 251161 and our home moving experts will be glad to assist you.
Alternatively, you can contact us or use our online booking to set up an appointment for your home removal survey - both services can be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, meaning you can contact us when it suits you.