Confused by removal comparison sites?
These days, we're used to visiting comparison websites to change our energy suppliers, check insurance prices, or even booking hotels. Comparing prices for these is relatively straightforward; you input your requirements and you're displayed with a table showing everything that matches and the price you'll pay
Removal company comparison sites are a bit different. We know the value of them - we participate in some of them - but there are a few things you should keep in mind when using a comparison site to make sure you get the most out of it.
How are removal comparison sites different from other comparison websites?
When you're comparing the price of energy suppliers, hotels, or insurance policies, you're comparing the exact same product and service from many companies. When you're comparing removals, it isn't quite so concrete as every removal is different. One three bedroom move can be vastly different in size and scope from another; there's no flat standard. For example, someone downsizing will have less to move than a family who have outgrown the same size house.
The information you provide for the comparison is basic, and the prices shown are a guide price for a standard move of a standard amount of belongings. You'll usually receive an indicative price from three or four companies.
- Make sure you know if the guide price you've been given is inclusive of VAT - you'll want to compare either all VAT included or all pre-VAT prices - and find out if they're VAT registered
- Are they adequately insured? If not, and their truck with your belongings was involved in an accident that wasn't their fault, your items may not be insured. This is something that is easy to overlook, but very important to consider
- Are they a member of a trade organisation such as the British Association of Removers (BAR)? BAR members undergo an annual inspection to ensure they're complying with the high standards set by the group. They're also checked that their finances and creditworthiness are of a good standard. In the unlikely event a BAR member's business fails after you've paid for the move (but before you've moved),
- The BAR operates an Advanced Payment Guarantee
Call Us: Staffordshire & Cheshire: 01785 251161 orGet a Quote
- Provisional bookings - some removal companies and man & van removers take provisional bookings for future removals. However, these provisional bookings often fall through with cancellations at the last minute when a better paying job comes along. This leaves the customer scrambling trying to find a replacement removal company - often the day before their move is scheduled. We don't take provisional bookings, but do offer you insurance options to avoid costly changes should you need to change the date of your move
- What's included in the price? Because you don't know exactly what's included in the prices you're given from a comparison site, be sure to talk to the company and find out exactly what's included in their price (insurance, boxes, packing materials, VAT, etc) - these things will vary from company to company, regardless of their size
- Will they come to your home to perform a survey to see exactly what's being moved, check the access for the removals lorry, and make sure there aren't any issues with very tight stairs or corners that would require a bit of extra work to remove your belongings?
- Be sure to fully check the binding quote you're given after you've spoken with the removal company to ensure you're receiving a quote for everything you require for your move. Use this price for your comparison, rather than the guide prices you initially receive
Call Us: Staffordshire & Cheshire: 01785 251161 orGet an Estimate
Removal quote appointment booking service
Britannia Goodwins Removals & Storage can help your move go smoothly. Contact us for a free, no obligation quote, or by calling 01785 251161 and speaking with one of our Stafford and Cheshire removals specialists.
How are our appointments carried out
In the current times you might prefer that we don't visit your house in person to carry out a survey. This is fully understandable and we can just as easily undertake the survey by video call, using whatever method you're comfortable with, usually FaceTime or WhatsApp.
See what our customers think of us...
All very professional and friendly
All very professional and friendly. Company was recommended to me.Emma FinnieStafford
Went above and beyond to make sure my removal went smoothly
Darren G, Anthony and Gareth were very friendly and polite, they went above and beyond to make sure my removal went smoothly, they couldn't do enough for us. We would like you to thank them on our behalf, we would recommend you to others. Thank you.
If all your crew are like the 3 we mentioned i don't think you need to improve.
Used through word of mouth and for being so efficient.
Comments regarding your initial enquiry - Went above and beyond to help.Sandra AthertonStafford
Very efficient and easy to communicate with
Very efficient and easy to communicate with. Packing of the vehicle by the crew on day 2 seemed a little rushed that left challenges at the end with getting everything in.
I have used Britannia previously and based upon my experience then, chose to use you again. Professional and polite service.Mark WinfindaleStafford
Excellent reviews and provision of a video quote
They were absolutely brilliant - professional, helpful and extremely efficient. Nothing could be improved - they were absolutely fantastic.
Used based on excellent reviews and provision of a video quote, which was important as we had a very short timeframe to find a removal company.
We have not had any concerns or questions after the move, but we have no doubt that any such concerns would have been dealt with promptly and courteously, based on our experience of the removals service.
Comments regarding your initial enquiry - Really helpful, efficient, professional.Beth Harvey SmithStafford
Complete the form below to get your UK Removals quotation
European Removals Quote Request
Complete the form below to get your European Removals quotation
International Removals Quote Request
Complete the form below to get your International Removals quotation
Call Me Back
Complete the form below and we'll call you back to discuss your requirements
Complete the form below to get your Self Storage quotation
UK Price Guide
Complete the form below to get a Price Guide sent to you
Please note: Our Price Guide tool is intended for moves within the UK Mainland only. If you're moving to or from the UK mainland please speak to one of our friendly team who will be able to provide you with a bespoke quote.