Staffordshire & Cheshire Removals
UK and International Removals & Storage since 1935
Removals to South Africa
If you are planning on moving to South Africa, we've the knowledge and expertise to tailor your move to your specific needs.
We know that your removal is only part of your move, so we also have information about South Africa Visas.
Moving household belongings to South Africa
Shipments of household goods and personal effects are allowed duty free entry, so long as they have been owned and used for at least 12 months prior to importation. To move your items to South Africa, you will need a customs clearance form and a packing list, Britannia can help you with the appropriate import documentation. You will also need a residence permit (permanent or temporary) and a work permit to move to South Africa.
- Customs clearance - It generally takes 7 to 10 days for customs clearance and delivery. The time taken to clear goods through customs can be affected by government policy, X-raying of goods, physical inspection, volume of traffic and the levy of any import duties or taxes.
- Packing & delivery - Our removers can pack and wrap all your items to ensure that they are transported safely. If you choose a full door to door shipping service to South Africa, we can deliver the goods to your new home.
- Additional removal services – If you require additional removal services when moving to South Africa, Britannia is authorised to provide comprehensive insurance, and arrange international storage or pet transport.
Prohibitions and restrictions
In general, it is in your interest not to import the following items:
- Firearms & ammunition
- Inflammable goods & substances
- Plants & plant material
- Foodstuffs, perishables or otherwise
- Narcotics and dangerous goods
- Offensive materials
- Alcohol & Tobacco
South Africa removal transit times
Shared load (groupage) consignments usually take eight to 12 weeks door to door. However, this can vary depending on volumes being shipped, customs or immigration delays and prevailing weather conditions. Sole use containers usually take 21 to 36 days port to port.
Moving your domestic pets to South Africa
Britannia Goodwins can recommend a specialised shipper of animals to assist you in sending your family pets from home to your new home in South Africa. They will coordinate all documentation and necessary veterinary procedures, ensuring your pet's entry into the country is as smooth and trouble-free as possible.
Find out more about moving overseas with pets
Moving motor vehicles to South Africa
All motor vehicles must be granted import approval prior to export, and a Letter of Authority is also required from the NRCS. All vehicles are subject to high duty and import taxes upon import.
How can we help with your removal to South Africa?
Ring us on 01785 251161 and our international home moving experts will be glad to assist you.
Alternatively, you can contact us or use our online booking to set up an appointment for your home removal survey - both services can be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, meaning you can contact us when it suits you.